A quick announcement before we get to the news: Don't miss our fun new badge generator!!! Just click the red "Get my badge" button on the left side of your profile page, and it'll generate the code for you to put on your own blog or website, including a custom link back to your profile. Now everyone will be able to find and friend you on Textillia, and check out your projects! Yay!!!
Now, onto the news...
News from the Sewiverse is all our latest news and finds: indie pattern launches, podcast episodes, interesting articles, and all the goings on in the sewing universe! In this edition:
- Grainline Studio Willow Tank Dress
- Straight Stitch Designs View Ridge
- Blank Slate Patterns Forsythe Trousers
- Megan Nielsen Axel Skirt
- Tessuti Brooklyn Coat
- Sew Caroline Parkside Shorts + Skirt
- Janine Vangool Uppercase Collection
- Heather Ross Mendocino Goodies
- Paprika Patterns Amber Trousers
- Cashmerette Upton Dress
- Lotta Jansotter Hemma for Windham Fabrics
- Cotton + Steel x Sulky Threads
- Events and Workshops
- Best of Blogs + News, and Podcasts!
Grainline Studio Willow Tank Dress
As if they knew it was all I wear in the summer, Grainline Studio has a new pattern out for summer, the Willow Tank Dress, which includes both a tank dress and tank top pattern. They're the most classic, easy to wear tanks you'll want a whole wardrobe of in the warmer months!
Straight Stitch Designs' View Ridge
A great new summer top pattern from Straight Stitch Designs, the View Ridge top has three variations, one with ruffles, one cropped, and one somewhere in the middle - I can't help but notice how this would lend well to mixing up different fabrics and color-blocking!
Blank Slate Patterns Forsythe Trousers
Blank Slate Patterns' perfect secret pajamas Forsythe Trousers pattern came out a few weeks ago, but I just discovered them and had to share - the sash belt and relaxed leg are so pretty, and they look so comfy and perfect for warmer weather in summer weight wovens!
Megan Nielsen Axel Skirt
Megan Nielsen's new Axel skirt is 3 skirts in one pattern! It includes a short skirt with waist sashes, and two different midi skirts - a narrow one with a slit that can be worn in front or back, and then a flowy version with a handkerchief hem.
Tessuti Brooklyn Coat
Sew Caroline Parkside Shorts + Skirt
Janine Vangool's Uppercase Collection
The Uppercase Collection from Uppercase Magazine editor and graphic designer Janine Vangool, inspired by the colorful geometric patterns used in the magazine - to be released by Windham Fabrics summer 2016.
Heather Ross Mendocino Goodies
As part of Heather Ross' Windham Fabrics re-release of her famous Mendocino collection, she's released a free smocked sun dress pattern for little ones, and also has really cute limited edition signed art prints for sale!
Paprika Patterns Amber Trousers
It must be the year of pants, Paprika Patterns has just released a new pants pattern the Amber Trousers! It comes in two variations - one with a tapered leg, and one with a wide leg. Is it me or is the wide-legged pant back in? I sure hope so, I never stopped loving them!
Cashmerette Upton Dress
Cashmerette has a new dress pattern out, The Upton Dress, this one's made for woven fabrics and has a pretty A-line silhouette with optional beautiful pleats! (And...everyone's favorite feature: POCKETS.)
Lotta Jansotter's Hemma for Windham Fabrics
Lotta Jansdotter has a new collection of quilting cottons, Hemma for Windham Fabrics. The bright bold colors and patterns are based on her well known hand drawn and hand carved stamp and stencil designs.
Cotton + Steel x Sulky Threads
Cotton + Steel is collaborating with American family owned thread company Sulky to make an incredible line of high quality 50 wt 100% long-staple Egyptian grown colorful cotton thread that is spun, dyed, and finished in Italy. More info on the Cotton + Steel blog.
Events and Workshops
Lisa Solomon's Modern Day Sampler Workshop (June 5, 2016, Emeryville, CA)
Textile artist and teacher Lisa Solomon is teaching a beginner's embroidery sampler workshop "Modern Day Sampler" at Handcraft Studio School, using a fun sampler pattern of her own design to teach students a variety of basic and more funky stitches.
Sew-a-Softie Day (July 16, 2016, Online and everywhere!)
Trixi from Coloured Buttons is hosting a fun project in July for beginner sewists and anyone who wants to see how fun and easy sewing softies can be! Bloggers will be posting tutorials starting at the beginning of the month, so grab a friend and then post your finished projects on Instagram with the #sasday2016 hashtag - there's prizes!!! Watch her blog and join the Sew-a-Softie Day Facebook Group to get all the info!
Sew Pro (September 15 - 18, 2016, Chicago, IL)
Sew Pro is a conference for professionals in the sewing industry - registration is already open, it's only 4 months away!
Art Camp with Heather Ross & Anna Maria Horner (September 30 - October 1, 2016, Nashville, TN)
A weekend at Craft South with designers Heather Ross and Anna Maria Horner, drawing, painting, and having all kinds of grown up art camp fun!
Photoshop for Fabric Designers Workshop with Heather Ross (November 10-13, 2016, New York, NY)
A weekend-long workshop (plus pre-workshop crash course day) with beloved fabric designer Heather Ross, dedicated to learning how to use Adobe Photoshop to design fabric based on hand-drawn designs.
Quiltcon East (February 23 - 26, 2017, Savannah, GA)
Blogs + News
- Did you know you could watch the PBS documentary The Quilters of Gee's Bend online for free?
- Cashmerette's first feature from her new series "The Curvy Confidence Interviews" with Monserratt Lopez is AMAZING.
- Seamwork features an interview with Zoe Edwards, the creator of Me Made May.
- Why it's called "Seersucker".
- An interesting and heartfelt post from Jeni Baker on why she stopped designing fabric.
- On planting a dye garden.
- Timo Rissanen and zero waste fashion on the Alabama Chanin blog.
- Fascinating post by Susan Carlson about using glue in quilting, and why it is sometimes the best choice! (via While She Naps newsletter)
- Hard questions from Abby Glassenberg on Quilt Market and whether it's still relevant, especially to fabric shop owners.
- Did you know Jen from Grainline Studio's first sewing project was a cheeseburger?
- Meg from Sew Liberated's sweet and heartfelt story about her break from sewing and business, and how she came with a new perspective.
- Tutorial for a great travel sewing kit on Bernina's We All Sew blog.
- My friend (and Textillia's first member aside from Bruno and I!) Theresa has started an AMAZING new blog: "Clothes Hacking: Sewing while fat is a radical act"! She's already got two detailed posts up about how to modify patterns into larger sizes, if you have trouble finding patterns you like in plus sizes, go have a look!
- I think life affirming positivity and self care are pretty craftivisty, don't you?
- Quilt-making as grieving. Both these stories are heartwrenching, but it's amazing how we can use craft to process the hardest emotions.
- How longtime batik company Hoffman Fabrics' new division, Me + You, came to be.
- Those last 3 were from the While She Naps newsletter which was even more jam packed than usual...and so is this, and I quote: "Quilt Your Heart Out, the podcast by Marianne and Mary Fons, is no more. Apparently a very aggressive non-compete clause from F+W shut it down." Contracts, while necessary, can be a real bummer.
- Episode 29 of Profit Power Pursuit with Abby Glassenberg
- Episode 10 of Seamwork Radio, talking money with Heather Lou
- Episode 72 of While She Naps with Kristine Vejar from A Verb for Keeping Warm (sponsored by Textillia!)
- Episode 58 of Crafty Planner with color lover Jeni Baker
- Episode 39 of Thread Cult with sustainable fabrics company enthusiast and owner of Hell Gate Fabrics, Sonja Gingerich (of Ginger Makes).
If you have something you think I should include in the next edition, please tag me on social media @textillia or drop me a quick message through the Contact page!
ps. If you're enjoying Textillia and want to help make it a success, here are some ways you can help out!